WHY SHOULD CHILDREN DO KARATE?
Sport is unquestionably good for children for a great many reasons. We believe that Karate is even better than most!
A lot of children are referred to us by Occupational Therapists as the benefits for children with behavioural problems, attention and learning difficulties etc have been proven time and time again.
For example, children who have difficulty or are unable to cross the mid-line; who have difficulty or are unable to mimic physical movements (especially mirror-image); children with spatial orientation problems etc. Karate also teaches a multitude of life lessons - one of the main ones being "What you put in, is what you get out". The harder and more you train, the quicker and further you will progress through the belt system. But that is by no means the only lesson. In addition to being a great way of combating bullying, karate also teaches:
• Self Discipline
• Self Esteem
• Self Awareness
• Stranger Awareness and personal safety
• Attention/concentration difficulties
• Gender equality
• Non-violent Conflict Resolution
• Listening skills
• Compliance with verbal instructions
• Good decision making
• Humility - there is always a bigger dog!
• Overly aggressive behaviour
• Overly passive behaviour (lack of self confidence)
• Social skills
• Mental focus
• Poor/low muscle tone
• Weight control
• Endurance and Stamina
• Fitness and Body Conditioning
• Healthy living
• Memory sequence skills
• Gross Motor Skills
• Eye-hand co-ordination